Responsible for greeting patients in a friendly manner, answering phones, updating patient demographics and insurance information in the computer system, verification of health insurance benefits, explaining payment policies and billing/collections processes, generating visit encounters, accepting, posting and balancing cash drawer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following:
- Greet, register, instruct, discharge and provide general assistance to patients.
- Obtain and record demographic and financial information in electronic medical record
- Verify insurance eligibility and relevant information on payment policies and billing/collection processes.
- Verify and collect co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles, past due balances and other patient financial responsibility when applicable.
- Maintain and balance cash drawer.
- Maintain electronic medical record, scan and title documents appropriately.
- Confirm electronic medical record is complete, patient understands physician instructions and financial responsibility is settled prior to patient leaving the center.
- Answer telephone, take messages and forward to the appropriate staff/provider.
- Regular attendance to ensure efficient clinic operations
- Help maintain patient flow within the center.
- Maintain a clean, orderly waiting room including reading material.
- Demonstrate ongoing competency and proficiency in job requirements.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Perform clerical tasks as required.
- Maintain strictest confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned
- Perform the duties of this job while working in an indoor healthcare environment, working with a moderate noise level, working with potential exposure to bloodborne pathogens and diseases with a requirement to wear appropriate PPE.
- The ability to stand for extended periods
- May work varying shifts and with varying providers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), office experience preferred, Customer Service/Training preferred, Knowledge of medical terminology and basic office procedures
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos, Ability to write simple correspondence
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's, Ability to perform these operations using units of American money
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to work independently and with the public in a high-pressure environment. Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload. Ability to listen, understand and problem solve if complaints are brought to your attention.
Full time and PRN
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday